Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New MAC Eyeshadows

Well, I used to swear off MAC because I had a really bad experience with their Studio Fix Foundation and Concealer. (break outs!!!) But I only recently figured out why people love it so much - colors!
I've never been much of an eyeshadow person cause I've always thought it looks a bit over the top when you put it on. In the past I only wore eyeshadow when I went to special occasions like parties in the nighttime or weddings or other events where you had to really look dressy and pretty. (simply put, if slippers were a possible dress code for the occasion, eyeshadow was a big no-no for me. lol)
So here I am, shifting gears and trying out something new. (sorry for the low res pic, I just zoomed a picture in)

Here are the shadows I used for that look:
NARS Bengali
L-R: MAC Paradisco, MAC Ricepaper
L-R: MAC Metal-X Red Hot Copper, MAC Metal-X Venetian Tarnish

The Metal-X eyeshadows are limited edition eyeshadows from the 2011 MAC Winter Collection. The colors are housed in a much bigger pan than the normal MAC eyeshadows and have a metallic cream-to-powder finish. Pretty good if you like bold colors on your eyes. If you're the type who has a hard time wearing bold colors (like me) I suggest sticking to the traditional mac shadows. They're more natural looking and cost a lot less too. :)
Individual photos:
1.) MAC Ricepaper - Frost peachy gold with shimmer
Pretty sheer on my skin. (I think) my skin has the MAC NC20 tone (MUFE Porcelain, NARS Mont Blanc, Laura Mercier 1, Benefit Fair) and when I put it on it makes for a great shadow base/highlighter for the brow bone and the inside corners of the eye. I think the peachy gold shows for darker skin tones (according to other make up review sites) but on lighter skin tones it's a great pigmented highlighter :)

2.) MAC Paradisco - Frost bright pink coral with pearl
OMG! HG eyeshadow! I have really warm skin tone so I've been looking for a nice neutral coral eyeshadow for years. And it's really lucky that my sister and I were killing time at the mall so we decided to go eyeshadow shopping and this is the first thing I got.

3.) MAC Metal-X Red Hot Copper - Warm copper
A little too bold for me. It's a really warm copper color, bordering on a rusty kind of red. What's great about it though is that it's a buildable color that isn't too overbearing when you first swipe it on your lids.

4.) MAC Metal-X Venetian Tarnish - Golden tarnished bronze
This looks better on people with tanned skin (like my sister who practically lives on the beach). I just use this as an accent as it gives me a creepy unnatural spray-tanned look on my eyes when I put it on. -_- zzz

Step by step guide to this look:
1.) Spread Ricepaper all over the eyelid from the upper lash line to the brow bone
2.) Contour the eye by using a flat brush with NARS Bengali, only putting shadow on the edges of the lid fold and over the lash line (as you would an eye liner)
3.) Double the contour by layering Red Hot Copper over Bengali for a softer, more feminine look
4.) Color in the crease with Paradisco
5.) Dab a bit of Venetian Tarnish on the outer edges of the lower lash line to widen the eyes a little bit more
6.) Blend the colors using a blending brush all over the eyelid to finish
(o btw: i'm using Ardell 124 lashes here. hehehe~)


Hope you liked this review! :)
PS I couldn't help but buy another favorite makeup item of mine before exiting the store:

Ta-da! MAC Lipstick in Plink! (Lustre warm seashell pink) Maybe I'll do a separate review if I'm not too lazy XD

No comments:

Post a Comment